Into the quiet between the footsteps
Into the Quiet Between Footsteps
- A personal narrative by Daniel J Benoit
There’s a particular kind of silence in the woods that doesn’t feel empty.
It presses in.
Not hostile. Not welcoming. Just… aware.
I didn’t notice it as a kid, even though I spent more time under tree canopies than beneath ceilings. Back then, the woods were simple. They were places of movement: deer stepping softly through fallen leaves, squirrels arguing overhead, the occasional crack of a branch under my own boots. Everything had a source. Everything made sense.
That changed the moment I stopped assuming I understood it all.
My name is Daniel J. Benoit, and I’ve spent years walking into places most people walk out of before dark. Not chasing a monster. Not trying to prove a legend. I went looking for something quieter than that… something that exists just beyond certainty.
People call it Bigfoot.
I call it a question that refuses to sit still.
The First Step Beyond Knowing
My interest didn’t begin with an encounter.
It began with a realization.
Watching the famous footage filmed in 1967, the Patterson-Gimlin film, something shifted in me. Not belief. Not disbelief. Something more stubborn. Curiosity sharpened into focus. I started asking a different kind of question:
What if we’ve been looking at this the wrong way the entire time?
From that moment on, I didn’t just read stories. I studied them. I didn’t just listen to witnesses. I listened to how they spoke, where their voices faltered, what they remembered clearly and what they didn’t.
Because truth doesn’t always arrive as a clean answer.
Sometimes it shows up as a pattern.
The Woods Don’t Perform for You
Over the years, I built what would become the East Coast Bigfoot Researchers Organization. Not as a spectacle. Not as a brand. But as a working approach to something that demands patience.
We go out for days at a time. Six, sometimes seven days deep in the woods. We don’t charge in at night like we’re hunting something. We stay put. We observe. We let the environment settle around us until we’re no longer the loudest thing in it.
And slowly, the woods begin to change.
Or maybe we do.
There are moments when everything feels ordinary… until it doesn’t.
A heavy step inside the treeline when no one is there.
A sound that doesn’t match anything known in the region.
A stillness that feels like it’s listening back.
You don’t forget those moments. Not because they’re dramatic. Because they’re precise. They happen in a way that feels real enough to challenge everything you thought you understood.
The Night That Stayed With Me
May 3, 2014.
George Washington National Forest.
I wasn’t alone. There were five others with me. That matters, because shared experiences carry weight differently.
It was late. Somewhere between 11 p.m. & Midnight, That hour where the woods shift from evening into something deeper.
We became aware of movement.
Not chaotic. Not random.
Structured.
Three distinct sizes. Smaller. Medium. Larger.
A pattern that suggested not a lone animal, but a group. A family.
No one ran. No one shouted. We observed.
And in that moment, standing there with others who were witnessing the same thing, the question stopped being abstract.
It became immediate.
What are we standing next to?
The Things That Don’t Fit
Not everything I’ve encountered fits neatly into a biological category.
That’s something I’ve had to accept, even when I didn’t want to.
In Pennsylvania, I watched lights move through the woods. Not above in the sky, but across from camp. Dim. Circular. Present without illuminating anything around them.
They didn’t behave like flashlights.
They didn’t behave like reflections.
They simply… were.
In Virginia, at Fulks Run, a similar light appeared roughly thirty yards away. It stayed just long enough to be undeniable. Then it was gone, leaving behind no explanation and no trace.
And then there are the smaller things.
Equipment draining without reason.
Devices turning on without being touched.
Moments that, taken alone, could be dismissed. But together begin to form a pattern that refuses to be ignored.
I don’t claim to understand it.
I document it.
Walking Through Ridicule
If the woods test your patience, people test your resolve.
There’s a quiet kind of pressure that comes with doing this work. Not just from skeptics, but from within the community itself. People who believe there’s only one correct way to approach something that no one has fully explained.
I’ve been told I’m doing it wrong.
Too open-minded.
Too willing to explore possibilities outside the expected.
But here’s the truth I’ve come to stand by:
You can’t demand answers from something you don’t yet understand.
You can only observe it honestly.
What This Work Really Is
Over time, this path led me beyond the woods.
Into conversations.
Into speaking events across Virginia.
Into writing.
My book, Trail of the Unknown, wasn’t meant to prove anything. It was meant to document a journey. The kind that doesn’t end neatly. The kind that leaves room for doubt and discovery to exist side by side.
Through my radio program and documentary work, I’ve met people who have carried their own experiences in silence for years. People who didn’t want attention. Just understanding.
And that’s what this work has become.
Not proving.
Not convincing.
Listening.
The Truth Doesn’t Stand Still
If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s this:
The moment you think you’ve figured it out… you haven’t.
Because whatever exists out there, whether it’s purely biological, something more complex, or something we don’t yet have language for, it doesn’t behave in ways that make it easy to define.
And maybe it’s not supposed to.
Maybe the purpose isn’t to solve it.
Maybe the purpose is to keep walking.
To keep observing.
To keep asking better questions.
Why I Still Go Back
People ask me why I continue.
Why spend nights in the woods. Why return to places that leave more questions than answers.
The answer isn’t dramatic.
It’s simple.
Because something is there.
Not something I can fully explain.
But something I can’t ignore.
And once you’ve stood in that kind of silence… the kind that feels like it’s watching you just as closely as you’re watching it…
You don’t walk away from it.
You follow it.
Not blindly.
But honestly.
One step at a time.
Daniel J Benoit
(Wildlife & Bigfoot Researcher)
(Wildlife & Bigfoot Researcher)
ecbro98@gmail.com
Comments
Post a Comment